I'm not sure if it has always been like this or if as I am getting older, I just notice it more....
But,
isn't Thanksgiving supposed to be about family and taking time to ponder things we are thankful for? That was always my understanding, but this year I have really noticed that Thanksgiving for America is all about sales and getting the best deal on Christmas gifts....
Don't get me wrong, I love myself a good deal and I have no problem with sales the day after Thanksgiving. However, once again- maybe it's always been like this--but it seems like there are way more stores open all day on Thanksgiving?! What is that about? I refuse to go shop any deals on Thanksgiving...I think it is terrible for management to make people come in to work on a day that should be spent with family. Really, are the day after sales not enough? I don't care what the deal is, I won't be shopping on Thanksgiving...I find it a little ridiculous. Instead of shopping, I am thinking of all of the things I am thankful for.....
1) Jesus and how He has really shown Himself to me in a lot of ways this year and for the amazing gift He gave me, that I often take for granted, of a guaranteed eternity with Him.
2) My wonderful husband. I love him more with every year...even though we drive each other crazy sometimes. We say that it is proof God has a sense of humor that He put us together. :) He has become more my best friend this year than ever before, and he is an amazing daddy to our little girls.
3) Grace Michele...the first to completely steal my heart. I am so thankful that she loves Jesus so much and loves to talk about and learn about Him. I am thankful that she has a sweet spirit and a kind heart. I am thankful that she loves her little sister even though they can fight like cats and dogs. I am thankful for her sweet cuddles and zany little sense of humor.
4) Michaela Elizabeth...the sweetest little firecracker I have ever known. I am so thankful for the little twinkle she gets in her eyes. I am thankful that she is talking much clearer now and we can understand her. I am thankful for her busyness even when it is inconvenient. I am thankful for her bear hugs and sloppy kisses.
5) I am thankful for friendships. I have renewed some old friendships and made some new ones, and I am so thankful for each one. And, I am thankful for a best friend...that we just 'get' each other and can tell one another anything, that we can talk one another down and encourage one another one in our Christian walks.
6) I am thankful for Northside Christian Church and for the way God is working through the people and staff there. I am thankful that my girls love going there. I am thankful for the way we are challenged to live for Christ there. I am thankful for the amazing friendships I have there and for my amazing Bible Study group there.
7) I am thankful that my family has food to put on our table, water to drink, a home to live in, and medicine readily available. Having traveled to other countries, I know that so many people in our world do not have even these basic things and I am thankful that those images are still burned into my mind...images of a baby with a hugely bloated little belly from malnutrition and covered in scabies, images of entire families bathing in a dirty stream, images of a family of 6 living in a tiny hut with a dirt floor, one bed, and a hole dug into the ground for a bathroom. I am also thankful for images of these same people smiling and calling themselves blessed because of Jesus' love. I am thankful for their example to me in contentment and true joy.
8) I am thankful all of our family that loves, supports, and encourages us in so many ways.
9) I am just thankful.....for so many more things even then what I listed. Overall, 2010 hasn't been the easiest...parenting challenges, friendship challenges, money challenges, health challenges...but what overshadows all of it is God walking through each step of it all, and for that, the word thankful doesn't even begin to cover it.
Wednesday, November 24, 2010
What I am THANKful for....
Posted by Barr Family at 3:30 PM
Labels: Family Life, Lessons, Soapbox
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



0 comments:
Post a Comment