Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Lessons From Moses....

So, another new year...and an attempt to read through the Bible in one year. I have tried this before and it never quite happened. I am in a different place now though...I am just fascinated by God's Word. I don't just read the words anymore, I attempt to figure out how to apply it in my life. That approach has made all the difference in my study.
So, I am in Exodus. A few days ago, I read through chapters 3 and 4. Moses finds himself in the very presence of God (the burning bush). God informs him that He has heard the Israelites cries under Egypt's rule and that He is going to bring them out of Egypt. Moses is just the person for the job.
Moses's response to this declaration is one that seems pretty typical to me. I mean, what would you say if God told you that you were going to help rescue an entire people?
Following are the excuses Moses gives God for why he cannot possible do what God has commanded:
1) "Who am I that I should do this?" Moses felt too insignificant to do the job...he was just one person, how could he possibly carry out such a task. (He was focusing on his abilities and not on God's.)
2) "Suppose the Israelites do not believe I was sent by you?" Moses was thinking through the possibilities of what could go wrong.
3) "What if they do not believe me or listen to me?" Again, Moses was stuck on thinking of all that could go wrong.
4) "I have never been eloquent in my speech..." He focuses again on his own abilities, and not on God, the God of the universe having the power to accomplish what He desires through His people.
5) Finally, Moses just comes out and says what he has meant all along..."Please just send someone else."

Can't we all think of times that God has asked us to do something that we really just wished he would send someone else for? Befriend that unlovable person, share the good news with the associate who wants nothing to do with God, speak out in truth and love to a fellow brother/sister who has fallen away, invite that one person from church who really doesn't seem receptive...
Haven't we all thought at one time, "Why me? I am not perfect either so why would I voice a concern I see in his/her life? Suppose they ask me a question that I don't know the answer to? What if they get angry wtih me and never speak to me again? I will just stumble all over my words...I don't have the knowledge or understanding to do this. God, can't you please just send someone else to do this?"

After the 5th excuse, the Bible says that God's anger burned against Moses. Ouch...burned against him huh? I sure don't want anything, especially the anger of God, to burn against me. God isn't in the business of keeping us comfortable. He doesn't want us to just sit on our rears and not take any chances. If God is asking us to do something, we can be positive that He is going to equip us to do the job. If you are a believer, you have the power of the Holy Spirit active and alive in you...with that, you can do things that you would never dream possible.

In excuse number one, when Moses asked who he was to do such a job, God answered, "I will be wtih you." Simple enough. No, Moses didn't have the ability to carry it out on his own. But, God would be with him, and that changes everything.

0 comments: