Saturday, September 4, 2010

Why I Menu Plan

I'm a little obsessive when it comes to menu planning. I try to do all of the major grocery shopping every 2 weeks so I kind of have to know what I am buying for. Here is our next 2 week plan:

Breakfast Options:
Oatmeal (pumpkin, cherry vanilla, applesauce flavored, banana)
Eggs, scrambled or hard-boiled
French Toast
Yogurt
Bacon
Eggo Waffles (for my work mornings when I don't have time to do a regular breakfast for the girls)

Lunch Options:
Hotdogs
Tuna Noodle Casserole
PB&J
Finger Food Lunch
Leftovers
Pasta

Sat: Chicken Pastina, Garlic Bread, Salad
Sun: Potato Soup, Grilled Cheese
Mon: BBQ at a friend's house
Tues: Cheesy Crockpot Tortellini....new recipe so we'll see if it's any good
Wed: Homemade Fish Sticks*, Rice, Green Beans
Thurs: Michael's Sweet and Spicy Chili
Fri: Company's coming! Chicken Enchiladas, Mexican Rice, Grilled Squash and Zucchini
Sat: Out for dinner
Sun: Church picnic
Mon: Baked Turkey Breast, Mashed Potatoes, Green Beans, Alabama Biscuits
Tues: Coconut Chicken (another new one), Cheesy Potatoes, Broiled Broccoli
Wed: Leftover Baked Turkey Breast, Corn Casserole, Vegetables
Thurs: Potato Soup, Grilled Cheese

*Homemade Fish Sticks:
-2/3 c. salted sunflower seeds, ground fine
-3 egg whites, whisk for 1 minute
-5 T. ground flax
-4 t. parsley flakes
- 1/4 t. sea salt
- garlic salt to taste
- cayenne pepper to taste
- 8 oz. tilapia, cut into strips

Mix the seeds, flax, parsley, salt, and seasonings in a bowl to combine. Whisk eggs in a separate bowl. Dip fish sticks into egg, then coat with crumbs. Don't get too thick of a coat on the fish or it will be a little soggy. Bake at 375* for 10 minutes. Serve with tartar sauce or lemon juice. Much tastier and healthier than frozen fish sticks from the store!

I love menu planning because it prevents me from buying a bunch of stuff I don't need. And, I save all kinds of money by shopping for 2 weeks at a time rather than going weekly. I think I have written about this on here before, but I was just struck again by what a good discipline it is when I went to the store Thursday evening. I spent for the 2 weeks (plus toilet paper, diapers, and a few other household things) what I used to spend in one week's trip.

0 comments: