Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Freedom of Choice Act

Quick note: Many of you have asked how to leave a comment if you aren't a "blogger." Very easy...just click on the comments button at the end of the post, click on "Other" and enter your name into the name box. Then click "Publish your Comment." We love comments so let us know when you stop by!

Hi everyone. So, a few weeks ago I ranted and raved about partial-birth abortion. I konw most of you agreed with me although not all. This isn't going to be a rant again...I think everyone knows where I stand on the issue of abortion. However, I subscribe to citizenlink.org (by Focus on the Family) and they email me daily on things going on in our government that impact us from a Christian worldview. Anyway, haven't heard much of anything about this in the media..big surprise there...(I could rant about our liberal media for hours...but won't).

In response to the April decision by the Supreme Court to uphold the partial birth abortion ban, many prominent Democratic members of Congress reintrouced a bill, The Freedom of Choice Act, which could be called "The Freedom for Partial Birth Abortion Act." This bill has some very big names backing it...many of which won't surpise you...Hillary Clinton, Joseph Lieberman, Barack Obama, to name a few. What would this bill do if passed?
1) Completely nullify the ban on partial birth abortion
2)Would bar government at any level from interfering with a woman's "fundamental right to choose to bear a child..."...support the absolute right to choose prior to fetal viability, except for if the mother's physical or mental health is at risk and then it is okay at any time....Did you catch that? Mental distress? Hmmm...sounds like a big loophole to me.
3)Override laws restricting government funding for abortions
4)Override laws prohibitin abortions in public hospitals
5)Override laws requiring that girls and women seeking abortion receive certain information on matters such as fetal development and alternatives to abortion, and then wait a specified period before the abortion is actually performed, usually 24 or 48 hours.

It has been said that this bill would be a long shot. Hopefully that remains the case because I don't know about you, but I find this to be very scary. Any progress in the pro-life movement that has been gained since Roe v. Wade would pretty much be wiped out and there would be virtually no restrictions regarding abortion. Sorry if this was boring to you, but wow, I hadn't even heard of this Act. And, was disturbed to see that 2 big presidential candidates, Clinton and Obama, are in favor of this legislation. One more reason I will not be voting for a Democrat! And another reason to pray for our nation daily...to turn away from the lies that Satan is telling us so that we as a country will recognize the one true God and begin to conduct ourselves in a way more pleasing to Him.
James 4:7-8 "7 Submit therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you. 8 Draw near to God and He will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners; and purify your hearts, you double-minded. "

0 comments: