Friday, March 7, 2008

Memories Of Our Snow Day

We had a snow day a few days ago...that is rare around here, because we usually get more ice than anything. But, we got several inches of pure snow, and the day wasn't so freezing that you couldn't stand to be outside. I attempted to chronicle what our days look like when we are home all day. When we have Bible Study or playgroups, or whatever else we just play it by ear. Adding some semblance of routine and structure has made our home tremendously happier. Gracie definetly thrives on it I think. Before we get on to "our day in pictures" I have to show you two "tools" have made our lives much easier:
1) Barr Family Chart: It shows in pictures what we are doing that day...(church, library, park, pool, my family, pictures of Michael's family, playing with friends, Wal-Mart, Dr. Steele, birthday parties, etc.) It shows a picture of what Gracie's chore is for the day which rotates between: taking clothes out of the dryer, helping clear the table after supper, and helping empty all of the wastebaskets. And, it shows what Gracie is learning about. Before we even get our day started, we look at it so she knows what to expect so that has cut down on the arguments.


2) Gracie never wants to get dressed in the morning. She would stay in her pajamas all day if she could...and she is really not into long sleeved stuff so it will be alot easier this summer I think. But I posted up our AM/PM routine on her bathroom door so she knows she has to do all of the things on it before she is ready to start the day or go to bed.


Okay, how many of you are thinking I am totally anal-retentive and crazy, and wondering where I found the time to mess with all of this. It took me several evenings after the girls went to bed to get it all done, but it was so worth it because it has made our days so much easier.
Okay, onto our fun snow day at home:

Breakfast at 7 AM:


Half an hour to 45 minutes of PBS while Mommy gets ready:


Free Playtime:


Structured Playtime (meaning we pick out one thing for them to play with)



Then I usually do some kind of learning activity with Gracie while Michaela "helps" or has time on her blanket with toys. Gracie is learning about creation, and is making a book about each day of God's creation:


Then we usually have lunch, which I didn't get a picture of. Gracie then helped do her chore for the day which was getting clothes out of the dryer, putting them in the basket, and bringing them to my room:


After lunch, Michaela immediately goes down the nap, and Gracie has quiet time with books and sometimes goes to sleep, but not nearly enough. After everyone is up from naps and rest time, we have snack time:


Then, we headed outside to play in the snow. Michaela doesn't have snow boots so we tied Walmart sacks around her feet...classy huh? :) They had such a good time!



We came in and had warm potato soup and grilled cheese. Gracie says our dinner prayer now and it is so cute. We can't usually hear her because she goes really fast and kind of mumbles, but God can hear her so that is all that matters.


Then we played more with Daddy and conked out on the couch.


The perfect end to the perfect day.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

LOVE the smile on Gracie's face out in the snow!! I love your organizational system - can you create one that I can put on the wall for Matt?? :)

Christina said...

What a FUN post!! Thanks for sharing!! You are SO organized!! :) Hope you are all well! :)

Anonymous said...

I love the way you have everything scheduled...I bet it works really good..and I hope that someday I'm as good of a mom as you are:)! You're girls are going to be so smart! Love, Aunt Megan!

Anonymous said...

I see the kindergarten teacher coming out in you...I've always said that kindergarten teachers were made in heaven, because only someone designated by God himself could do that job!!

Jenny

Amy D. said...

Thank you so much for praying for us. Your family is precious and we pray God's blessing in your lives.