Friday, September 26, 2008

He sets up kings and deposes them....

Does anyone else really find the state of our nation very disturbing? I find myself worrying more than ever about how things seem to be falling apart here in America. And, in the midst of this political election, I fear what the outcome is going to be. Are we headed for the next Great Depression? Is Iran going to nuke us? What city is the next target for the terrorists? Are grocery and gas prices going to continue to rise? Am I going to be able to feed my family? So many great nations have fallen before us...are we next? There are so many concerns that have been tumbling around in my mind.
Thank goodness God is running things. We have been talking about this in my ladies' Bible study and a sense of calm has been overtaking my worrisome thoughts. In Daniel 2:21, we read: "He changes the times and seasons; he sets up kings and deposes them...." When I first read this, my immediate response was, "Well, we don't have to worry about anything...God is going to pick who He wants to be our president and that's who it will be." Then I got to thinking about free will. God loves us enough to give us free will. We are a nation that has flat-out turned our backs on God in so many areas that it would take me all night to write about all of the areas. We are very much like the Israelites.
The Israelites were a group of people..God's people...God was their King. Over and over again, the Israelites were determined to do things their way...a stubborn, "stiff-necked" people. God brought them out of bondage from Egypt and on their way to the Promised Land, they were pining for the rich foods and "comfort" of bondage. Time and time again, they entered into a cyclical relationship with God: rebel against God, be disciplined by God, repented. Over and over again.
In 1 Samuel 8, we see the Israelites approach Samuel and demand a king: "...now appoint a king to lead us, such as all the other nations have." They wanted to be like everyone else with a flesh and blood king. What a slap in the face to God who wanted them to be different! When a very troubled Samuel approached God, God comforted him, "Listen to all that the people are saying to you; it is not you they have rejected, but they have rejected me as their king. 8 As they have done from the day I brought them up out of Egypt until this day, forsaking me and serving other gods, so they are doing to you. 9 Now listen to them; but warn them solemnly and let them know what the king who will reign over them will do."
He warns the Israelites that the new king would make their sons servants, make their daughters workers, take their best field and vineyards, take their best cattle, take a tenth of their crops, and last but not least they themselves would become slaves! The Israelites didn't bat an eye. They repeated their earlier command for a king. I can only imagine the sorrow in God's voice when he told Samuel, "Listen to them and give them a king." I imagine God had to spoke that sentence in a quiet voice, past the lump in His throat. Saul kingship was a disaster for the Israelites. They suffered greatly under him.
So, what does this have to do with today's politics? Yes, God sets up kings and deposes them. But, He also will allow His people to live out the consequences of their choices. In other words, "You want a flesh and blood king? You want to follow someone besides me? Here you go. Live with the choice you have made."
God will use whatever president we choose for His greater purposes. He knows who is going to hold the office. I can't help but wonder if God is watching us, just as He watched the Israelites, and calling us a "stiff-necked" people. Of course I pray for God's hand to move in these presidential elections, but I don't necessarily pray for one candidate to win over another.
I pray that the election, the frightening things happening in our nation, the outcome of the election will bring people back to God. What is it going to take to bring us there? I don't believe God SENDS a terrorist attack, a Great Depression, etc. to get people's attention. But, just like with the Israelites, I do believe he will allow things to happen so that when we are brought to our knees, we will have nowhere to look but back up to the One who made us.
To me, faith and politics are so tightly meshed together that I cannot even comprehend boxing each into it's own corner. God can't be boxed off into a corner. He gave us the Holy Spirit to guide us in ALL of our decisions...not just "religious" decisions. God wants to be a factor in what shows I watch, what music I listen to, what books I read, what I spend my time doing, and yes, who I vote for.
What will our next king bring us? Do one of the candidates reflect values that God holds dear? These things have to be taken in consideration with GOD at the center of it all if we call ourselves God's children.

0 comments: