
We got Christmas pictures taken yesterday, and they girls were so good! In fact, they were little hams who were enjoying the spotlight. Do I have the cutest girls or what? :)
I am currently reading Effective Parenting in Defective World by Chip Ingram. I read it awhile back right after I got it, but I am really taking my time this time around, highlighting stuff, and trying to get as much of it as I can to stick in my head and heart. He really is just a fantastic preacher who offers real and authentic stories from his own experience, insight that is Biblically based, and encouragement for those who want to raise their kids to know God.
So far, I have made it through the first 2 chapters. He outlines 4 principles that we have to understand:
1) Set Clear Cut Objectives:
*The culture has told us our objective is to make our kids happy. Our objective SHOULD be to help each one of our kids become more like Jesus.
* "Focus on the internal issues in training rather than simply focusing on the external behaviors." Don't ignore their heart/character behind their action.
*"Lord, will you help me cooperate with you so we can work together on this gift You've entrusted to me? Will you help me prepare this vessel to be filled wtih your Spirit, so that in ten, twenty, thirty years this child loves and trusts you, knows your grace, and has values and convictions that reflect your heart?" I think I am going to post this in my quiet time journal.
2) Practice What You Preach
* "Your children are going to be a lot like you." Scary isn't it? :)
* "Can you imagine lining your children up on the courch, looking them in the eye, and saying, "I want you to be like me. I want you to talk the way I talk, drive the way I drive, eat and drink the way I eat and drink, watch the kinds of shows I watch, handle your money like I handle my money, balance work and rest like I balance work and rest, and handle your anger like I handle mine"? That is some pretty convicting stuff. Chip urges parents to identify the aspects of our lives that we don't want to pass down to our kids and INTENTIONALLY turn these areas over to Christ. He stresses that no one is perfect, and that isn't the goal. Authenticity is. That will mean being able to tell your kids you are sorry when you blow it and let them see how you handle messing up.
3) Build Relationships That Bond
* "The stronger your relationship with your child, the greater the probability he or she will embrace the values you hold most dear through the hard times."
* Exhibit unconditional love by separating your disapproval for his/her behavior from your approval of him/her.
*Spend focused time with your family. "Paul follows his description of a Spirit-led Christian life with specific instruction in this order: our relationship with God, our relationship with our spouse, our relationship with our children, and our responsibilities in work and ministry."
4) Implement a Repair and Maintenance Plan
* Your parenting strategies have to be flexible to meet the need of each individual child...and within your relationship with one child, your strategy will have to change often.
* Learn how to say "I'm sorry, will you forgive me?"
So far, I am loving this book. I think I will be referring to it often in the years to come!
2) Practice What You Preach
Wednesday, December 3, 2008
Christmas Picture and Little Copycats
Posted by Barr Family at 10:45 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



0 comments:
Post a Comment