Another week...another meal plan. Nothing too exciting this week, but Michael is especially looking forward to Wednesday's meal:
Monday: Italian Chicken (chicken marinated in Zesty Italian Dressing and baked), Wild Rice, Vegetable
Tuesday: Roast and Vegetables, cooked in crockpot, Crescent Rolls
Wednesday: Beef and Noodles, Mashed Potatoes, Green Beans
Thursday: Eating at the zoo for a special Member's Night
Friday: Brown Beans and Ham, Cornbread
Saturday: Leftovers
We have a very busy week ahead of us...lots of things going on...playgroup, swim lessons, zoo, and I am also observing for two mornings this week at the preschool I will be working at this fall. It is so funny how some weeks are jam-packed while others have hardly anything planned.
This weekend I was so blessed to be able to go to the first annual Northside Christian Church Women's Retreat. My mother-in-law came and stayed with the girls and I went and had an absolute blast with about 50 other ladies. We stayed at the same camp that I went to growing up...except we didn't stay in the dorms...we stayed in the retreat center. I didn't go to bed until 2AM! I was planning on catching up on some sleep while I was there, but I got busy having girl talk with some friends...but it was so worth it. I even won something...actually, 2 things...a Lifeway gift certificate and a T-shirt. I never win anything...I was so excited.
I think the highlight of my weekend was the 'prayer walk.' Really, it was just an hour of time that we could walk around the camp, find a quiet place, and spend some time with God. It was so neat to walk around my old stomping grounds...where I spent time every summer.
I walked past the dorms and remembered thought of how many secrets were shared in those bunk beds, how those walls had seen silly teenage laughter and tears. I walked past the group of picnic tables that we liked to hang out at and talk. I took notice of the basketball court that our youth group met at every night of camp one year in particular after the day's activities were over and how strongly we could feel God's presence there under the starts. That place holds so many memories for me it was almost overwhelming. I settled down at a pavilion-covered picnic table that I had sat at many times before in the past and was just quiet.
Usually during prayer times I tend to talk alot...imagine that, but I decided I would just listen. Really taking time to listen to what God is trying to tell me is sort of a new practice, but He certainly gave me a message there at that picnic table. I kept thinking Matthew 6:19:-21:
"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasure in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."
That verse is not new to me. However, God sent a totally new message to me. I have always thought of that verse as saying not to worry so much about earthly possessions...money, big houses, etc. because all of those things will pass away. And, it totally does mean that. But, God showed me it goes much deeper that that. We are to invest our time and energy in what is truly precious to us...what will have eternal impact.
For me, this means that I need to stop investing so much time to things that take away from my role as wife and mother...things like housework, hobbies, etc. Not that housework and hobbies are bad...but when they are taking you away from your children or your husband I believe that God wants something better for us. I have determined that I am going to spend some time first thing in the morning doing the housework stuff that needs to be done so that the rest of my day is free to focus on the girls. I am going to quit waiting to do so much of that stuff after the girls go to bed and it takes away from time I could be hanging out with Michael. Obviously, this means that not every room is going to be completely clean and organized at any moment of the day. But in the long run, is it going to really matter? Does a perfectly organized house have any eternal impact? No, but quality time with my children will have an eternal impact.
One of my biggest hobbies is reading. I love to always have a book nearby. Nothing wrong with that...but I need to make sure I am using my time wisely and that it is not taking away from the things that are precious to me.
And, I think I am going to shut my trap sometimes when I am spending time with God and just listen to what He is trying to tell me.
Sunday, May 4, 2008
Menu Plan Monday and Weekend Recap
Posted by Barr Family at 9:15 PM
Labels: Christian Worldview, Menu Plan Monday
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



0 comments:
Post a Comment