Thursday, January 20, 2011

Snow Day

It's the teacher in me....I LOVE snow days!!! LOVE THEM! Last night I went to bed with no snow on the ground but with great hope that I would wake up this morning long enough to see Willard scroll across the bottom of the TV and go back to bed. Sure enough, we woke up to a winter wonderland today and I got to go back to bed...for a little while until the girls got up....but I convinced them to play in their room while I snoozed a bit longer. It was heavenly. We have several inches of beautiful snow to look at and I love it.
Surprisingly the girls aren't very interested in playing in it today, which doesn't bother me in the least! Gracie has had a cold so I really didn't want her in it anyway. Instead, we have stayed in our pajamas and have played and relaxed all day....and I've had to break up numerous fights....but I'm okay with that because....it's a SNOW DAY! :)
Craving something warm and heavenly to eat for dinner tonight on this cold day I made White Chili. I have several recipes for it and I kind of took a little bit of all of them and ended up with yummy-ness. It's not quite chili consistency but that's probably b/c I didn't have enough to cheese to really load it up like traditional recipes, but it is still good and very easy for a lazy day around the house. Here you go...

White Chicken Chili
- 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts
- kosher salt, pepper, and garlic salt to season chicken
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3-4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 jalepeno, finely chopped
- 1 t. oregano
- 1 t. cumin
- dash of cayenne pepper
- 1 carton of chicken broth (32 oz.)
- Splash of lime juice, to taste
- 3 cans Great Northern Beans, drained and rinsed
- 1-2 cans diced green chilies
- 1 can Ro-Tel
- splash of milk
- cornmeal
- cilantro, to taste

Drizzle oil in cooking pot and heat to medium-high. Season chicken breasts with kosher salt, pepper, and garlic salt. Brown chicken in oil on all sides. Set aside.

Add a little bit more oil if needed and add onion, garlic, and jalepeno. As they begin to become tender add spices and chilies. Cook together for a few minutes so the flavors can meld together. Add chicken broth and Ro-Tel. Return breasts to pan and let simmer until cooked through. Remove breasts and shred. Return to pot. Add beans and cook through until warm over medium heat. Add a few splashes of milk to taste along with some liberal dashes of cornmeal to thicken. Towards end of cooking time, throw in a bit of chopped cilantro.

On another note, Michael has started back to school...bleh. He will be putting in lots of clinical hours and has a gazillion tests/finals to do this semester. But then he will be DONE! I absolutely cannot wait for him to be done so all he has to worry about is work and that when he is home he doesn't have to be doing papers and studying and can just be with us! Yay for May! We are counting down the days...

0 comments: