Tuesday, February 1, 2011

The makings of a great snow day

"Blizzard Warning"
That is what I heard last night before I went to bed. I don't remember ever having had a blizzard warning before. All area schools and colleges cancelled school before a drop of snow/sleet/ice fell! That is a miracle in itself around here where schools like to wait until the last possible minute to make the call. We had some warning so we stocked up on all of the essentials and I prayed that we wouldn't wake up to a cold house with no electricity. I have a little bit of PTSD concerning the ice storm a few years ago where we were without power for 2 weeks and Michaela was just 2 weeks old...most miserable 2 weeks of my life! All 4 of us got to be home together today and it was just fabulous. The girls woke up and played in their room having a great time...the miracle being that they didn't wake us up. Michael didn't get up until 8 and I didn't get up until 9:30. Thank you LORD! Here are some shots of our snow day...

As soon as I woke up Michael decided to shovel the driveway...while it was blizzard-ing outside...not sure of his logic on that one, but he had a good time I think.


The girls had a good time watching a movie together...

A snow storm necessity... Dr. Pepper.... a few days ago I told Michael we needed to stock up for this storm. He was expecting me to say, "We need milk, bread, etc." What did I say? "Make sure you get some Dr. Pepper!" And my lovely cold medicine there as well...what a combo right?


Our church is doing the B90 challenge...reading through the Bible in 90 days...which if you have read my blog long, you know I attempted this several months ago...my attempt went okay but it took way longer than 90 days and I did more skimming than I would have liked. This time around is going much better, mainly because I am doing it with several hundred other people in my church family.


If you can't ride your scooter outside, the hall is the perfect place apparently.


The girls worked on some bags that Aunt Michele got them that they got to color and decorate.


We made snow ice cream. That was a fun and yummy treat!



Our neighbor's car...


Our van...



And on a side note...for any of you carb lovers like me...we had Jay and Michele over for dinner last night and I made some homemade baguettes...Oh my gosh, these were amazing. We all ate a ridiculous amount of this.

1 1/2 cups warm water
1 1/2 Tbs. (2 packages) dry yeast
2 tsp. sugar
3 1/4 cups flour (I ended up working quite a bit more in b/c it was really sticky)
2 tsp. salt

In a small bowl mix the warm water with the yeast and sugar. Let it sit for about 5 minutes - foam should form on the top.

In a large mixing bowl combine the flour and salt. Gradually add the yeast mixture. Mix until the dough becomes a smooth ball and knead for 5 minutes. (I use my Kitchen Aid with the dough hook)

Cut in half and then shape into 2 baguettes. To make them smooth and pretty, roll each half of dough into rectangle and roll up lengthwise. Pinch the edges to seal and place on lightly greased cookie sheet (or silpat) with seam down. Cover and let it rise for 30 minutes.

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. With a very sharp knife (I like to use a serrated blade) gently make a slash down the length of each baguette. This will give it that authentic look. Pour water in a cookie sheet and place it on the bottom rack of the oven. Bake the bread for 15 minutes. Half way through, brush the bread with melted butter. Then, go into carb overload!

1 comments:

Brandy said...

Maybe it is just me, but I always look for similarities to my house in other people's house. Like, you have a hall claset like we do! And your cabinets/tile in the kitchen...we have that too (but your's is nicer). :)

And Michael is crazy. It is such a guy thing. If Steve wouldn't have had to work he probably would have wanted to go shovel or drive around...silly boys.